Pages

February 24, 2017

"I am ‘Abdu’l-Baha, and no more”

Tonight, I desire to speak to you on a most important subject, which you must engrave on the tablets of your hearts like unto the engraving of pictures on adamantine tack, to the extent that you may never forget it, and as you travel through life will relate it to the believers of God.

It is this: The Holy, Divine Manifestations are unique and peerless. They are the arch-types of celestial and spiritual virtues in their own age and cycle. They stand on the summit of the Mount of Vision and they foreshadow the perfections of the evolving humanity.

For example: during the dispensation of His Holiness Moses -- Peace be upon Him -- there was not a single human soul similar or like unto Him. He surpassed all the Holy Souls who came after Him, even the hosts of the Israelitish prophets.

In a similar manner all the people who lived during the cycle of His Holiness Christ -- May my life be a sacrifice to Him -- were under His spiritual authority. They had no will of their own. He was the Sun and the others were the lamps. He was unique and peerless, the center and the focal point of the mighty forces. Everyone else was under His shadow. He was the Orb and the others were the stars. He was also unique and peerless. Everyone caught the rays of Light from Him, and was enkindled through His Fire.

In a like manner was the epoch of His Holiness the Báb -- May the life of aught else be a ransom to Him -- and He was matchless and without a peer. All the rivers received their strength from that great sea.

Finally, during the cycle of the Blessed Perfection Baha'u'llah -- My Life be a sacrifice to His believers -- all are beneath His shadow. He is the Unique and Peerless One till the next Manifestation. It is, however, not definite that it will be 1000 years; it may be 2000, or 10,000 or 20,000 years; but it is definite that for the coming 1000 years there will appear no Manifestation; for1 000 years there shall arise no Sun. All the appearances will be beneath the shade of the Most Great Appearance; they will be as stars of guidance. All of them shall gather around this Fountain fame all of them will become illumined with the rays of this Sun; all of them will receive a share and a portion from this great Sea; all of them will become vivified with this soul imparting breeze and all of them will be under the down pour of this rain.

The aim is this: His Holiness the Báb gave the Glad tidings concerning the Appearance of the Manifestation of God, and His Holiness, the Blessed Perfection, was the "Promised One" of all the nations and religions. The Báb was the "Morning Star," heralding the glorious Dawn of the Sun of Reality. Now all of us are under Its shadow and receive the refulgent Bestowals from It.

I am ‘Abdu'l-Baha and no more. I am not pleased with whomsoever praises me with any other title. I am the Servant at the Threshold of the Blessed Perfection, and I hope that this Servitude of mine will become acceptable. Whosoever mentions any other name save this will not please me at all. ‘Abdu'l-Baha, and no more. No person must praise me except by this name: "’Abdu’l-Baha”

The Blessed Perfection and the Báb are unique and peerless in this Dispensation, and until the next Manifestation. The belief, the opinion and the thoughts of all believers must revolve around this common Center. This oneness of belief must become fully realized so that in the future there may arise no differences. His Holiness the Báb was the "Morn of Guidance." The Blessed Perfection was the "Desired One" of all the religions and nations, and all of us are under the Blessed Shade, non-existent and evanescent. All of us are the servants of this Holy Threshold. All of us are the thralls -- meek, humble and lowly. All of us receive the Light from that Sun of Reality. There is no other mention, no other quality, no other appellation for us save this.

I am ‘Abdu'l-Baha. The believers must be satisfied with this explanation so that I may be pleased with them. All of the friends must be united on this matter. Praise be to God! that up to this time, through the Favor and Providence of the Blessed Perfection, no other title or word save "’Abdu’l-Baha" has appeared either from my tongue or pen. I hope that all the believers will walk in my footsteps so that I may become satisfied with all of them. Our highest aspiration must be this: that we may become confirmed to render some slight service in the Path of God. There is no greater station than this.

After the Departure of the Blessed Perfection and till the Appearance of the next Manifestation there is no other station save the Station of Servitude, pure and absolute. Not a servitude liable to interpretation; but an unconditional and unqualified servitude. This is the real fact. Whosoever expresses any other interpretation, I will not be pleased with him. This is my advice to you. This is my counsel to you. This is my desire. This is my good pleasure. This is my last request from all the believers of God! The balsam to my wound is servitude at the Holy Threshold. My Sadratu’l-Muntaha is servitude at the Holy Threshold! My highest destination is servitude at the Holy Threshold! My Supreme Paradise is servitude at the Holy Threshold! My Spiritual Temple is servitude at the Holy Threshold! The Most Shining Crown is servitude at the Holy Threshold! What diadem is more glorious than Servitude at the Holy Threshold?

I hope that all of us will become assisted in this servitude. I hope each one of us will become confirmed in absolute humility and meekness at the Holy Threshold. This is the Delectable Paradise of the righteous ones! This is the ultimate desire of the believers! This is the Zenith of the hope of the favored ones!

‘Abdu’l-Baha Abbas
(Words of ‘Abdu’l-Baha, recorded by Ahmad Sohrab; Extract from the Diary of Mirza Ahmad Sobrab, 17 January, 1914; Star of the West, vol. 5, no. 5, June 5, 1914)