Pages

June 13, 2016

Progress towards unity and peace in the last seventy years -- as of 1912

These are wonderful days!  We see an Eastern guest received with love and courtesy in the West.  I have been drawn here, in spite of my ill health, by the magnet of your love and sympathy.

Some years ago an ambassador was sent from Persia to London where he stayed five years. (His name was 'Abdu'l Hasan Khán.)  When he returned to Persia they asked him to tell them about the English people.  He answered:  "I do not know the English people.  Although I have been in London five years, I have only met the people of the Court."  This man was a great man in Persia, and scent to England by princes, and yet he did not know the people, although he lived among them five years.  Now I, a prisoner, come to England for the first time, and although my visit is so short, I have already met many dear friends and I can say I know the people.  Those I have met are true souls working for peace and unity.  Think of this subject:  What a difference there is between this time we are living in now, and seventy years ago!  Think of the progress! the progress toward unity and peace! 
- 'Abdu'l-Baha  (From a compilation of ‘Discourses of ‘Abdu’l-Baha given in London and Paris’; Star of the West, vol. 2, no. 19, March 2, 1912)